Thursday, February 5, 2009

Running Journal

Well, today my zune died so I didn't have any music to listen to. I am a little bit upset by that. It was expensive. I don't want to have to replace it. I don't know what I will do. But, anyway, as a result of not having the zune I was a little less self absorbed during the run – which is to say that I was able to hear and speak to other people. I ran with this guy, J. We went out at a pretty decent pace. It felt like a 6 min mile pace but it might have been slower than that, but not by much. We went 2 miles in about 13 min. It is hard to judge, it could have been 14 min, the clock that we use to time ourselves is the clock tower on campus and it just isn't that accurate (as in no second hand, no individual minutes). It was definitely a faster pace today though and I am inclined to think that 13 minutes is pretty accurate because it felt a lot faster than the 2 miles I was running in 15 or 16 minutes a week or so ago.

After 2 miles we walked one lap. That was a very slow lap. Then we jogged the last lap for a total of 10 laps in just under 20 minutes.

I felt good. Going into lap six I was feeling some muscle pain in my legs. J said something similar and I said that we should go 8 laps at the pace we were at and then slow down. J is faster than I am (and he is about 10 yrs younger than I am) but I don't think he has run long distances before. He said that his lungs were really burning him but my lungs felt fine today. My ankles (or just above them) really hurt. During the run my knees felt fine but yesterday and today I have felt some discomfort in my left knee. I am going to keep an eye on that; I don't feel good about it.
After the running, we did some stretching and some yoga. We ended the work out with 5 minutes in the corpse pose. The teacher said that the point of that was to quiet our minds and relax. About two minutes into it this guy right behind me says, "I have a question." So much for quiet. Then he started asking the teacher if we were doing Yoga and what research is there that Yoga really does anything and stuff like that. It was a little annoying, but whatever. Some schools in Colorado banned the teaching of Yoga last year because an Evangelical church in the area complained that it amounted to the teaching of religion in schools. There is a lot of that sort of thinking in this area as well. I don't know if that was the guy's slant or not, but, again, whatever.

Anyway, we have homework for this weekend – to go running. And the teacher said that I don't have to buy the book (I asked her).

me

No comments:

Post a Comment