Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Can you see it?


Does anybody else think that this looks like a dragon? I don't know, maybe I am the only one. And, no, this is not some part of a dragon obsession. I haven't had a dragon obsession since I was maybe 11 yrs old and at that age I think that it is actually a sign of healthy development - that or the fact that that was about the time that I read The Hobbit. For years after that I considered JRR Tolkien to be my favorite author and I read everything written by him that was available at the local library. Now, I don't know. I have read a lot more and I appreciate the differences that different authors offer. I just finished Don Quijote for the first time (I read the entire first volume in Spanish and most of the second volume I read in Spanish as well, but I have an English copy of it on my phone so I did read some of the chapters that way - and I can tell you, it loses a lot in translation). This week I also read La Numacia by Cervantes. I have huge appreciation for Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra. He was one of this planet's great artists. Anybody who has read Don Quijote and never read anything else by Cervantes is really missing out. It is unfortunate that so few Americans venture out beyond English and American literature. Among my favorite authors I would have to include Jorge Luis Borges really high on the list. I think that there is enough of his work that has been translated into English that I can recommend him to anyone who reads this blog. Miguel de Unamuno is another author that I like enough to recommend but I don't know if you can find a lot of his stuff in English - but, then again, I have never looked for his work in English. For many years now, I have been a big fan of Pär Lagerkvist. I first read Lagerkvist's book The Dwarf in a high school literature class. I recommend his book The Sibyl without hesitation and I think everyone should read his book Barabbas at least once. Curiously, the American author that I might enjoy the most right now is Stephen King. I love his stuff.
So, to conclude, can you see the dragon or do you just see storms?
And who do you really enjoy reading? And, what work of his or hers should I start with? I am done with school for a little over two months now - so come on, give me some homework.

me

2 comments:

  1. I see it, hon. It is flying in a south-westerly direction, right? Looks that way to me, at least. As far as recommended reading, well... You know what I read, and I try to read what you read. Hmmm... so, sorry, I have no reading homework for you, but, should you really want something to do, you can fold laundry! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see the dragon. He is headed our way. Very nice. I hope the storm on the other hand is headed east.

    ReplyDelete