Sunday, April 12, 2009

Blood of Christ

- the dogwood, not the dogma.



I love Easter, I love the springtime, I love that this whole season is representative of forgiveness and rebirth. I love that most of Western culture takes this time to make a special remembrance of the resurrection and the teachings of Christ in the spring (sorry Southern Hemisphere). But like many of my posts, this is a post about flowers and not crowns of thorns.

Read this explanation of the dogwood tree taken from birdshooter:
Legend of the Dogwood Tree
As legend has it, the cross on which Jesus was crucified was made from a dogwood tree. God decreed that the dogwood tree would from that day forth never grow large enough to be used to make a cross. Thus the dogwood tree is a small, under story tree. The flower of the dogwood has four petals which makes the shape of a cross. The center of the flower resembles the crown of thorns with bright red cluster of fruit in the center representing the blood of Christ. The dogwood blooms in April when Easter Sunday marks the resurrection of Christ after the Crucifixion.



And here are some Blood of Christ photos that I took on campus this week (with my phone):



Happy Easter everybody!!

No comments:

Post a Comment